Wednesday, September 30, 2015

Albright Knox Visit

The two most interesting pieces in the gallery were by artists Rene Margritte and Gerhard Richter.  Rene Margritte and his oil on canvas was an interesting concept.  The title Voice of Space (La voix des airs) gives a nod to what this painting may be about but for me without context it was about technology and its unassumability.  The spheres have unidentifiable features except for a uniform band across the widest part of the form.  This reminds me of a mouth.  I think that it was very interesting to look into this painting and discover that these objects are really bells.  Taken out of context, he submerses them into an environment that is uncharacteristic.  The other painting by Gerhard Richter Untitled #418, is an unusual painting as well.  It vaguely reminded me of an unfocused photograph.  In this case, it was extremely interesting to see the way the colors blend in with other colors and creates this uniform texture.  But the painting clearly has dimension and still the medium is relatively smooth.  From the point at which I was standing (as close as possible without getting yelled at) it was difficult to discern where a brush stroke started and finished. 

The paintings Blue Black and Child's Blue Wall were the two paintings that I felt most connected to.  Blue Black created by Sam Francis, depicts a large painting with short brush strokes, introducing the values of blues, blacks, yellows, and red.  This painting does not necessarily have any forms to which it abides by, but it sill has a sense of unity.  This really intrigued me because through the seeming chaos there is still evidence of a thought process to the painting.  Child's Blue Wall created by Jim Dine is the other painting that I felt a connection to.  This painting on initial appearance really took me back to my own younger days when I would endlessly write and paint on my bedroom walls.  I defied my mothers warnings and continued until I was old enough to understand that I was a nuisance.  Jim Dine is also known for his physical art and pop art and we can kind of see this through this painting as well with the toy lamp at the right hand corner.  My sister just had a baby and this painting reflects the probability that the child will continue to grow in endless ways and what she hopes for him is also endless. 

I would love to learn more about the Tune the old crow died gum on canvas.  This was an interesting medium that was used and when I tried to research more about the artist and context, it was difficult to come up with anything substantial.  Another painting that I would like to learn more about is Blue, Yellow, and Red.   Ellsworth Kelly makes important pieces based on basic and bold colors that utilize form and shape.  These painting are extremely simplistic yet still intriguing.

In order of mentioned  

Artist: Rene Margritte
Title: Voice of Space (La voix des airs)
Media: oil on canvas
Scale: 28 5/8 x 21 3/8 inches (72.7 x 54.2 cm)
Year:1931

Artist:Gerhard Richter
Title: Untitled #418
Media: oil on canvas
Scale:89 x 78 1/4"
Year:1977

Artist: Sam Francis
Title: Blue Black
Media: oil on canvas
Scale:119 1/4 x 78 x 2 1/2"" (framed) 
Year: 1952

Artist: Jim Dine
Title: Child's Blue Wall
Media: oil on canvas, wood, metal, light bulb
Scale: 60 x 72 inches (152.4 x 182.9 cm)
Year: 1962

Artist: Dan Colen
Title: Tune the Old Cow Died of
Media: Gum on canvas
Scale: 120 x 95 1/2 inches (304.8 x 242.6 cm)
Year: 2015

Artist: Ellsworth Kelly
Title: Blue, Yellow, Red
Media: acrylic on canvas
Scale: 82 × 189 in. (208.28 × 480.06 cm)
Year: 1965



2 comments:

  1. The images you picked and the interpretations you made were very good although it was hard to really get a sense for the picture when some of the works of art weren't captured. I feel as though it would have given me a better understanding if the picture of the artwork was included.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I see we chose one of the same works. The "Child's Blue Wall." I really thought it was a great piece that bought up so many feeling of nostalgia. I see you did too.

    ReplyDelete